Thursday, February 19, 2009

A-Rod made "a mistake"?

Admittedly, confession is a hard thing to do & even when we do confess it seems we always want to give ourselves an "out" where maybe it can appear that although we did do wrong, it's not really our fault. Take A-Rod for example. In the latest baseball doping scandal Alex Rodriguez said, "I certainly made a mistake, and I feel poorly for that," (emphasis mine). He also mentioned something about being "young and stupid." The reason for this type of confession is it appears more trivial & less sinister than saying "I chose to do wrong." By saying he made a "mistake" or he's "stupid" insinuates that he didn't know any better & if he had he wouldn't have done it. So he's really not a bad guy, he's just misinformed. This kind of deception has been going on since the beginning when Adan told God, "The woman you put here with me - she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it." (Genesis 3:12) In other words, God, you made me this stupid & you put this sly woman here to trick me so it is really your fault.
"Mistake" must be one of the most overused & misused words in Christian cultural vocabulary. The fact is each one of us has a corrupt nature and we don't want to admit it. So we claim we made a "mistake" like we missed question #6 on a math quiz or something. If we are going to be truthful with ourselves we will admit that, a very great percentage of the time, it was no mistake we made, we did wrong because we chose to do wrong. Only then can we truly come to redemption.
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9209474/A-Rod:-I-took-over-the-counter-substance

No comments:

Post a Comment