Saturday, January 26, 2008

Morgan County Prison Revival

Double rows of chain link fence fifteen feet tall & wrapped in razor wire couldn't keep the Spirit of God out this week as I had the priviledge of joining Pastor Ronnie Reagan while he held a revival at the Morgan County Correctional Facility. Services were held Wednesday, Thursday and Friday evenings from 7:00 to 8:30 PM. I got to go Thursday and Friday along with Johnny C, Marty W, Jeff M, & Daniel S. A couple of Davids went on Wednesday although I'll not sure yet which ones. That was the first time I had set foot in a state prison (thankfully) so I wasn't sure what to expect. Although I am sure we didn't meet the most hardened criminals in the place, I was excited to see how receptive they were to the gospel. I guess that shows that the Law really is a "schoolmaster to bring you to Christ" (Galations 3:24). The chapel we were using was made to seat 60 people but by Friday night we had 85 men in there & had to turn others away for lack of room. The prisoners had their own band & they were amazing! Many of your large churches would be hard-pressed to have music that good. Pastor Ronnie preached hard on sin, judgement, repentance, faith and redemption. Many came to the alter while others prayed at their seats because there was no more room at the front. It was hard to get a gist of how many were save because of our time constraints. Speaking of which; it seemed like the last night we were there God must have held back the clock to give us time to complete everything that needed to be done. We did in an hour and a half (singing, praying, testifying, singing again, preaching, praying again, passing out tracts) what would have normally taken two hours or more. Praise God for His patience and mercy. Pray for those men in prison. It is sobering to know that when we were done we get to go home & back to our own bed while they are stuck with the harsh reality of the consequences of their actions. Remember that we who are saved are forever in debt to the One who took the ultimate consequences for our actions when he suffered and died on a cross 2000 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment