Sunday, April 13, 2008

"Commitment to What?"

Last Wednesday I went with Donnie to Sandy Springs Park & we witnessed to 6 people (3 sets of 2). Out of the six there was one particular young man we had a good conversation with who was genuinely interested in how to get saved. He had recently come out of the army & was concerned about where he stood with God. After speaking to him about sin, hell, mercy, repentance, & grace we left him with a small book with the gospel of John in it. He told us he would start reading it that night. Pray that God will do a work in his heart.

Of the other people we talked to, the conversation was much more typical of what I have found of watered down gospel results. It never ceases to amaze me the adjectives you hear over and over again describing someone's "spiritual experience" which produces no fruit. They will say things like, "I got saved when I was 14 but i kind of went back into the world again," or "I made a commitment to Christ 5 years ago, I just haven't been as close to God as I should" or "I received Jesus into my heart, so I'm saved," & then they go on with their life like nothing happened. What did they get saved from? What did they make a commitment to? It is no wonder that the divorce rate of professed "Christians" is hardly different than non-Christians when the Church, out of desire to show a high success rate of "conversions", is willing to take so quickly someone's claim of commitment. If we take our commitment to God so lightly, why should we take marriage seriously? We seem to have forgotten the meaning of commitment. These people have never taken the time to try to understand what they are getting into, or what Jesus is trying to get them out of. "Whoever finds his life will lose it and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it." Matthew 10:39

God wants all of you. Not just a little effort every now and then. Not some religious chant you say in hopes of the magic cure. He died for you. Now what?

No comments:

Post a Comment