Apparently the suedo-Christian book The Shack is the next Best thing since The Purpose Driven Life,but is it really what it says it is? Is William Young promoting Biblical Christianity? Take a look at this interview Young had with Kendall Adams:
....................................................
Adams: You wouldn't agree that the Cross was a place of punishment for our sins?
Young: No, I an not a penal substitution, reformation...
Adams: But isn't that at the heart of the Gospel? The heart of the Gospel?
Young: No, the heart of the Gospel is Ephesians 1:5-"He predestined us before the foundation of the world to be adopted as sons..." that everything was by, for and through Jesus and when Jesus dies, all die.
Adams: There are so many scriptures that Christ died for our sins. 1 Corinthians 15:3
Young: Oh, and I agree with that, he became sin for us.
Adams: No, he died for our sins, Romans says, "The Father delivered him over for our sins."
Young: I'm not disagreeing with any of these passages at all, it's just that how do we understand it and how do we define what exactly took place, and I'm saying that there is a huge amount of disagreement amomg theologians and so there is you know, a degree of ambiguity there. I'm saying that everything that happens there is the purpose of the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit and that purpose is our redemption, is salvations reconiliation and I don't see that it is necessary to have the Father punish in that sense, the Son.
Adams: Do you believe that a person, before death must personally believe in Jesus Christ as the Son of God, in order to have eternal life, in order to be with the Father?
Young: Absolutely, absolutely, I believe that everyone was included in the finished work of the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit upon the Cross.
Adams: Do you believe that everyone..., the Muslim who rejects Christ who doesn't believe he's the Son of God, will be ultimately saved?
Young: I don't know, I don't know that, but I tell you what, the salvation,,,, Let me ask you this question, what saves us our ability to choose what Christ did, or what Christ did? Salvation was accomplished on the Cross, once for all, and it was finished, so it is not the issue of salvation that preventd people from eternal life, it's the issue to be in a relationship or not.
Adams: They have to believe in him to have eternal life, would you agree?
Young: Absolutely.
Adams: This side of death?
Young: Yes, but here's the deal, it was accopmlished by what he did, not by even our choice to believe it.
Adams: No, if they don't believe in this life it sounds like you are saying they can be ultimately saved.
Young: I don't know, I don't know that and I don't think anybody else knows that.
...............................................
It is actually pretty easy for us to know that: John 3:18 says, "Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not belived in the name of God'e one and only Son."
Young is speaking out of both sides of his mouth, he doesn't believe Jesus was punished, a substitute for our punishment, but he agrees with 1 Corinthians 15:3. He and Bill clinton need to get together and figure out what the definition of "is" is.
For an informative review of his book click the headline to link to:
http://www.normangeisler.net/theshack.html
Monday, March 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment