Gerhard Hennes, a former lieutenant in the German army under Adolf Hitler, spoke Thursday night at Alcoa High School. Here are a few interesting quotes recorded in The Daily Times:
Speaking of how badly the Germans treated prisoners: "I wanted to report this to my superior officers. It was wrong -- you don't do this to prisoners of war," Hennes said. "I had second thoughts ... my career was starting. I did nothing, and it has haunted me ever since."
Recalling a film about the German concentration camps that he saw in May 1945 at Camp Crossville. "It was a beautiful day in which I was transformed from being a hero into a scoundrel," Hennes said. "I couldn't believe that us decent men could do this to fellow human beings."
And finally, speaking of today,"I wonder about the direction our country (the United States) is taking. It behooves us to remain alert to historical drifts and shifts, especially in a country as strong as ours," Hennes said. "We need to watch over what we love so much, because we love it so much... each person is responsible for the acts and words of their leaders. The essential responsibility rests on us people."
This is what the Lord says:
Cursed is the one who trusts in man,
who depends on flesh for his strenght
and whose heart turns away from the Lord.
Jeremaiah 17:5
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment